Friday, July 29, 2011

10 Things I Wish People Knew About Me

In the spirit of so many posts I’ve recently stumbled across entitled “Things I Wish More People Knew About Me,” I thought I’d partake and for better or for worse, here goes my version (deep breath…)

My family is the most important thing to me and being a mom and wife always comes first. My two daughters, ages eight and three, and hubby are the most important things to me, hands down. They make my life so wonderful, and I don’t take a second for granted. I include my immediate family and best friends (you know who you are) into the mix as well, as they are my family, too. I had a fantastic childhood, maybe not as perfect as Mayberry or the movies, but was raised by two loving parents who are still married almost 40 years later and I consider myself fortunate to know what that feels like. And now that I have a family of my own, I have come to appreciate it all just a bit more. In fact, my entire immediate family and in-laws are concentrated in the same geographical region, so the entire family gets together for pretty much every major one-day holiday, everyone’s birthdays and often on weekends just to hang out. The girls are lucky that they get to see both sets of their grandparents all the time (plus, we have built-in babysitters! ). There are some levels of dysfunctionality just like in any family, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. Want to pull my heartstrings? This is the route.

Hypocrisy is my biggest pet peeve. You know the old cliché “Practice what you preach?” Well, that’s my life motto. With me, what you see is what you get: there is no fluff, no hidden agenda, and you can take it or leave it. So naturally, I reflect that in how I live my life. I actually consider it one of my best traits. That’s not to say I am perfect; we all make mistakes, especially me. I just have absolutely no – none, zilch - patience or respect for anyone who says one thing and does the complete opposite, who cannot stand up to their own “advice”, who get involved in people’s lives without invitation and those who are too quick to criticize others without looking in the mirror. Hypocrisy is merely a reflection of the lack of respect for others, and one thing I have learned along my life’s path thus far is that hypocrites are not honest and cannot and should not be trusted. And since I have no time for people like that, I choose to not waste any breath with them, plain and simple. If you say it’s good enough for me, it should good for you, too, right?

I truly believe good people always finish first, and to always take the high road. As faulty and imperfect as I am, I make an effort each and every day to quietly demonstrate to others that if they treat me with the respect I deserve as a human being, then I will treat them the same way (A tit for a tat anyone?). I also strongly believe that part of being a “good” person is taking the high road, no matter how difficult, hurtful and how much self-restraint it may take, because it is the right thing to do and well, karma is a b!tch. And trust me, I have learned from personal experiences, and it hasn’t been easy. There have been moments where I honestly thought taking the high road would be the death of me. Doing the right this is not always popular or easy, and letting “go” to do the right thing, believing that things will ultimately work out (“things happen for a reason”) is so hard, I know. But I really do try to live my life by that mantra at every turn (albeit, not always as perfectly as I’d like), and view it is a sign of strength. Living by a set of standards and principles is all or nothing for me – you can’t just decide when they don’t apply to life’s ever-changing moments or situations for the sake of convenience. I guess that is why I tend to be too easily disappointed in people.

The Green Bay Packers and our local Packer fan club are a major part of my life. Call me a dork, call me crazy, but since myself and a handful of others started the Packer fan club here in Houston about 13 years ago (Cheddarhead Pack of Houston), during the football season life stops every Sunday (or Mondays and occasionally Thursday night) when the Packers are playing. I have met some of my bestest and dearest friends through our fan club, of which I help run, through the years and it is literally my extended family. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else during a game (well, except maybe at Lambeau Field). And yes, both of my kids have grown up at our Packer club locale and accompany the hubby and I for nearly every game (unless a school night, night game or big game where the crowd will be too big). But before you judge me for having my kids in a bar (insert Reese Witherspoon’s comment from “Sweet Home Alabama”), take note that our club prides itself on having a home base that is smoke-free, family-friendly and encourages involvement from kids of all ages during games – and we do, just like in Wisconsin. It’s a great social environment – and what’s better than families, kids and Packer football?

I love discussing politics and issues of the day. While I dislike virtually all politicians, I have to admit that find politics fascinating and love discussing and debating all aspects of it, from the history to the political figures to philosophies, the policies, the people, you name it. I think it’s our responsibility as voting citizens to be informed and educated on the issues, and I take it very seriously. Anyone who knows me well (or some would say at all) knows exactly where I stand politically. And contrary to what some believe, I really enjoy talking politics with those that I fundamentally disagree with, to learn and understand why they believe what they do. I really do find it fascinating. Politics has never been an uncomfortable topic for me and if brought up, I actually welcome the conversation – as long as everyone agrees to be adults and discuss sans-emotion (sadly, I’ve gotten into knock-out, drag-out arguments with folks over the years, and have even lost friends along the way, over political discussions).

I absolutely HATE when I am the center of attention. Don’t get me wrong, I like praise and recognition as much as the next person and will work all the harder for those who recognize my efforts, but at the end of the day, I get uncomfortable when called out in front of a bunch of people and am quick to deter praise to others instead. Even when someone gives me a well-deserved compliment, in an unconscious knee-jerk reaction I immediately respond with a “well, thanks, but…” Don’t know why I do that, either; it’s not due to a lack of confidence or self-worth, as I have plenty of that. I honestly don’t know why, must be one of my unanswered life questions. It’s funny because I am not a shy person and have no qualms about getting up and talking in front of a large group, being interviewed on TV, giving presentations, you name it. But call me out in front of everyone and I internally freak out, can feel my body temperature rise as quick as Justin Bieber’s career (my eldest daughter would be oh-so proud of me for adding a JB reference), and must make the worst facial expression ever.

I truly believe things happen for a reason. I know we’ve all heard it over and over again, but I wholeheartedly believe it. There is not a doubt in my mind. Case in point: when my parents, sister and I moved down to Houston, TX, from my hometown of Vernon Hills, IL (northern suburbs of Chicago) shortly after my senior year of high school started, I thought my life was over. I had a horrible time finishing out high school and couldn’t get to college fast enough. I ended up going to UT, although not my first choice. My second day at UT, I met Jenni, the next weekend we met Brandon, it snowballed and 18 years, marriages, kids, jobs and moves later, our core group of college friends are still the best of friends to this day. Had we not moved to Texas, I would not have them in my life, would never have gone to UT, worked in MLB, started CHPH, worked at UH, met Brett Favre, met my husband, worked the All-Star Game, gone to the NLCS, had my girls, ended up living in lovely Sugar Land or have the job I do now. Texas is where my heart is. Moral of the story: sometimes it’s best to just take a step back and realize that things happen for a reason, even if we don’t know why at that very moment. Sometimes it takes years and a leap of faith, but sooner or later, the reason becomes known.

Relationships really do matter to me more than people (probably) know, especially those with whom I have chosen into my life. I am so blessed that through my professional work, involvement in various activities and college that I have met and formed relationships – both personal or professional - with tons of really neat folks from all walks of life. It has been an absolute blast. I have been a part of some really cool moments in sports history, have met many of my childhood heroes and most importantly, have made the best friends ever along the way. Many of the professional relationships have blossomed into personal ones over the years, and social media has been a great way to reconnect with so many with whom I have (unfortunately) lost touch with over time. I may not be the best at returning a phone call or email right away, but hey, life is hectic and finding the perfect balance between juggling working full-time, two kids, maintaining a house, husband and family is something that I struggle with daily. But I do have the best of intentions and value my friend’s tremendously. From the bottom of my heart, thank you to each of you for helping me be who I am today.

I tend to be too naïve – but have learned to trust very few. When I was younger, I was a pretty shy kid and had a tendency to believe anything just about anybody told me, especially when it came to personal matters. I had this utopian view that since I was such an honest kid, people were honest and my friend because they wanted to be, because I added value to their life. It wasn’t until I got older that I learned that there really are things such as “ulterior motives,” that people really DO take advantage of your good nature, and sadly, yes, I have been a victim of that a time or two (or maybe three…four…). Luckily, as I have gotten older and matured, I have learned to be a little more cautious on those who I trust, especially professionally. When it comes to trust, it is invaluable and once it’s gone, it’s gone. Good or bad, it is what it is. Like I said, my expectation of others has led to so much disappointment – and once you’ve lost that “trust ‘n feelin’” with me, I’m done with you.

I wish I dedicated more time to writing, one of my life passions. Since I was a little girl my life dream was to be a sportswriter, and I have had the pleasure of dabbling in and have been published here and there (thanks to my college days and previous life in pro sports, and some friends who have helped along the way), and my ultimate goal was to have my first book published by the time I was 40. I have T-minus four years to go and sadly, time seems to be flying by quicker than I can keep up. But I have not given up. I was obsessed with S.E. Hinton’s “The Outsiders” in junior high and imagined myself hitting it big like she did with a great story that would be made into a movie (so then I could spend my days shopping, reading and writing). Alas, that has not happened *yet*, but I am still hopeful that my book will touch a few hearts when completed. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jen B said...

Funny you should be writing now... I was just thinking it's been AGES since an update. Thanks for the shout out -- going to UT (not my first choice either) turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life too. I am incredibly thankful for the friends I met, the relationships forged, the knowledge imparted and all the enjoyment that college brings. I can't imagine not having met you...

And completely unrelated, but I need to call you about our upcoming trip thru Texas and Sugar Land...